Updated: Feb 13, 2020
Top 10 Best Things To See & Do in Charleston, South Carolina
1. Charles Towne Landing: Charles
Towne Landing State Historic Site is where a group of English settlers landed in 1670 and established what would become the birthplace of the Carolina colony. Guests can step aboard and tour the Adventure, Charleston's only 17th-century replica sailing ship, see cannons fired, or take a peek at otters, bears, bison and more at the Animal Forest natural habitat zoo. The grounds also include 80 acres of gardens, with an elegant live oak alley and the Legare-Waring House.
2. Historic Horse Carriage Tour: This is the best way to see the “Holy City” and learn about its rich and vast historical areas and attractions. Horse Carriage Tours can typically be found near N Market St. and Church Street downtown Charleston. You can also call or book them online.
3. Fort Sumter Tour: Where the American Civil War Began. Take are ferry ride out to the For Sumter National Monument and learn about the first clash between the Union and Confederate armies in the Civil War.
4. Dinner Cruise on the Charleston Harbor: SpiritLine Cruises offers the only true waterfront dining experience in Charleston. Aboard the Spirit of Carolina, you and your guests will enjoy a three or four course dinner, made to order from local seasonal ingredients. As you dine on a delicious multi-course plated dinner, the Spirit of Carolina will cruise through the beautiful Charleston Harbor, past Fort Sumter, along the Battery and beneath the Ravenel Bridge.
5. The Battery & Waterfront Park:
Waterfront Park: Enjoy a walk at the Waterfront Park downtown Charleston. The Waterfront Park is a eight-acre park along approximately one-half mile of the Cooper River in Charleston. The Waterfront Park is located near The Market. Go east all the way down Queen Street to the end, you wont miss it. Open location in Google Maps.
The Battery: Enjoy a walk at The Battery downtown Charleston.The Battery is a landmark defensive seawall and promenade in Charleston, South Carolina. Named for a civil-war coastal defense artillery battery at the site, it stretches along the lower shores of the Charleston peninsula, bordered by the Ashley and Cooper Rivers, which meet here to form Charleston harbor. Open location in Google Maps.
6. USS Yorktown at Patriots Point: Take a tour of the USS Yorktown. The USS Yorktown is one of 24 Essex-class aircraft carriers built during World War II for the United States Navy. She is named after the Battle of Yorktown of the American Revolutionary War, and is the fourth U.S. Navy ship to bear the name.
8. Morris Island Lighthouse: Morris Island
Lighthouse is a lighthouse on Morris Island in South Carolina. The light stands on the southern side of the entrance to Charleston Harbor, north of the City of Folly Beach. Park at the end of E Ashley Ave and hike down the path to the beach. Open location in Google Maps.
9. Folly Beach Pier: Folly Beach Fishing Pier is 24 feet wide, and extends more than 1,045 feet into the Atlantic Ocean. It is known as one of the best places to go saltwater fishing in Charleston, visitors and locals also take advantage of the miles of Folly Beach views. Open location in Google Maps.
10. Dock Street Theatre: America's First Theatre. On February 12, 1736 the Dock Street Theatre opened with a performance of The Recruiting Officer. Built on the corner of Church Street and Dock Street (now known as Queen Street), the Historic Dock Street Theatre was the first building in America built exclusively to be used for theatrical performances.
Enjoy a play in this beautiful historic theatre downtown Charleston.
Our Top 5 Favorite Restaurants in Charleston, South Carolina
Fleet Landing Restaurant & Bar Waterfront dining on the Charleston harbor from downtown Charleston.
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill Located downtown Charleston on N Market Street (Be sure to try one of the Signature Hot Rocks Appetizer)
Tavern & Table Waterfront dining on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant
Fish House Waterfront dining on the Charleston harbor from Mt. Pleasant
Five Loaves Cafe Located in Mt. Pleasant
Bonus! Dessert Restaurant
Kaminsky's Dessert Cafe' located downtown Charleston